Remembrance

It is strange sometimes what you remember about people after they have died...

Here are my memories of three different people:

  • Butter wrappers kept in the fridge, ready for greasing cake tins, instead of being thrown away. 
  • Someone who never stirred their coffee after putting a sweetener in it. (I suppose because they left it for so long to cool that the sweetener by then has dissipated throughout the drink anyway, so why waste energy? But when asked, they just said that they have never detected any difference between stirred and not-stirred, so there's no need to stir.)
  • A taxi ordered for me; a kind act. The measure of the man, highlighted in one action.

All these little things that gain a bigger importance once the person has gone. I'm not sure why that is, it's as if they become fixed because now they can never be changed by that person. It doesn't seem to happen with people who are still alive.



It leads me to wonder what little things people might remember me for when I have died. I've got no way of knowing. 

But the larger things too, I wonder about - such as who have I not been kind to? Who will remember me for that? 

Comments welcome - invited, even - of similar, small but important memories of people who are gone.



Comments